Thursday, January 8, 2009

Settling In

Very sad news to begin this post. Unfortunately Bev's dad Chris passed away yesterday afternoon Australian time Wesnesday 7th. Bev and other family members were there and he died peacefully in his sleep.

For those of you located in Brisbane and who may care to attend, the funeral will be held at 10.30am on Tuesday the 13th of January at St George's Anglican Church, it is situated at the corner of Victor St and Thorne Rd. Birkdale.

Bev has asked me to pass on her sincere thanks to all who have contacted and supported her over the last week or so since she got back from Canada.

On a happier note, I have begun my first week at University and it is a bit of a change from uni at home. I have had to get parking permits, ID photos, set up on the university computer system, find my way around and avoid frost bite. I am really enjoying the differences but have only attended one lecture as one of the others was cancelled because the lecturer could not get to Fredericton as a result of highway closures and the one I was scheduled to attend today because of snow and ice on the road. As a matter of interest all the schools are closed today because of the snow. Locals tell me that this does not happen very often.

Depending on the weather this afternoon I may get to use the snowplough for the first time but have already realised that this is a task requiring many layers of clothing and the use of insulated gumboots and gloves made for Canadian weather. Luckily the owner has left all this for me to use.




This is the view from the house towards the driveway and mail box taken about 3 hrs ago, so you can see the situation.

On the household side, I mentioned in the last post that we had purchased a lounge suite so have decided to include a couple of shots from inside the house to balance all the outside photos to date.


The photo below is of the fantastic kitchen in the house. Wanda Little (the owner) spared no expense in fitting it out. All the appliances are "Kitchen Aid" and there is more than enough storage space and bench space.



Will provide a update next week and at this stage Bev is planning to return and bring the dogs late next week.

Stay safe


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the news. Sorry to hear about Bev's dad. My comiserations to you both.
    Great pics, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just writing you an email and thought I should re-check in case you have updated the blog. You have! Great! Good work my man! Keep it up now, even though you have started your classes, and ...snow ploughing!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to here about Bev's Dad.
    Just caught up on all the news. Of course it will be 33C tomorrow, just thought I'd remind you.

    ReplyDelete